WELDON, TEXAS. Weldon, on Farm Road 230 twenty-one miles south of Crockett in southern Houston County, was settled just after the Civil War. A post office began operating in 1869, and a school opened in the late 1870s or early 1880s. In the late 1880s the Waco, Beaumont, Trinity and Sabine Railway was extended to Weldon, and the town became a regional lumbering center. By 1885 Weldon had several steam saw and grist mills, a cotton gin, two general stores, a drug store, a meat market, and an estimated population of 150. The town continued to prosper during the 1910s and 1920s, and by the early 1930s it had a population of 200 and several businesses. After World War II many of the residents moved away, and by 1950 the population had dwindled to eighty. In 1990 Weldon had a population of 131. The population remained the same in 2000.
Armistead Albert Aldrich, The History of Houston County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1943). Houston County Historical Commission, History of Houston County, Texas, 1687–1979 (Tulsa, Oklahoma: Heritage, 1979). Houston County Cemeteries (Crockett, Texas: Houston County Historical Commission, 1977; 3d ed. 1987).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "WELDON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlw16), accessed October 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.