TALPA, TEXAS. Talpa, in western Coleman County, was supposedly named for a large catalpa tree. Originally the town developed because it was a Santa Fe Railroad switching point and served as a farm market. In 1940 the population was 254, and the town had sixteen businesses, but by 1980 the figures had declined to 122 residents, three businesses, and a post office. In 1990 and again in 2000 the population was 127.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Beatrice Grady Gay, "TALPA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlt03), accessed May 23, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.