SELMAN CITY, TX
SELMAN CITY, TEXAS. Selman City, four miles southeast of New London in northwestern Rusk County, has been an oilfield community for most of its existence. The town was named for S. A. Selman, a druggist from a pioneer family, when oil was discovered on his property. Postmaster Raymond A. Crawford was appointed in 1939, and as late as 1950 Selman City was one of only fourteen post offices in the county. The post office at Selman City was the office for the area that included Turnertown, Selman City, and Miller (later Joinerville). From a population high of 450 in 1947–48, when the town had seven businesses, Selman City declined to 271 residents and nine businesses by 1980. The population was still reported as 271 in 2000.
Garland Roscoe Farmer, The Realm of Rusk County (Henderson, Texas: Henderson Times, 1951).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Megan Biesele, "SELMAN CITY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hls37), accessed May 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.