SCROGGINS, TEXAS. Scroggins is on Farm Road 115 fifteen miles southeast of Mount Vernon in southeastern Franklin County. Settlement in the area began in the 1850s. The community grew up around a sawmill operated by Milt Scroggins and became a shipping point on the East Line and Red River Railroad, which was constructed through the area in 1877. A post office was established in 1891, and by 1896 the community had a sawmill and three stores. The population was estimated as twenty-five from 1914 through the 1930s. In the 1930s Scroggins had one store and widely scattered houses. During the period after World War II it began to grow. By 1952 it had three rated businesses and an estimated population of eighty. In 1988 Scroggins had four rated businesses and a population estimated at 125. In 1990 and 2000 the population remained at 125. In June 2004 Scroggins General Store owners Ben and Joann Glaze organized the first annual Catalpa Worm Festival as an event to foster community fellowship and celebration. Catalpa trees and their parasites are common in the area.
Billy Hicks and Doris Meek, comps., Historical Records of Franklin County, Texas (Mount Vernon, Texas: Franklin County Historical Survey Committee, 1972).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "SCROGGINS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hls32), accessed September 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.