ROCKY MOUND, TX
ROCKY MOUND, TEXAS. Rocky Mound is on Farm Road 1521 four miles northwest of Pittsburg in northwestern Camp County. The original settlement was a black community centered around a school, which in 1897 employed two teachers and served the area's seventy-eight children. By 1908 the community also had a church, sometimes referred to as Rocky Mountain Church. By 1935 the schools in that portion of the county had been consolidated into the Sheppard Common School District, and the school for black children was located near Harvard. In 1948 the community had two churches and a cemetery. In the 1970s residents voted to incorporate Rocky Mound. In 1980 the town had a population of 123; by that time the population was no longer exclusively black. In 1990 the population was fifty-three. The population reached ninety-three in 2000.
Hollie Max Cummings, An Administrative Survey of the Schools of Camp County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1937).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "ROCKY MOUND, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlr52), accessed April 02, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.