ROXTON, TEXAS. Roxton is at the junction of Farm roads 137 and 38, eighteen miles southwest of Paris in southwestern Lamar County. The original settlement, named Fort Shelton, was established in 1837 by Eli Shelton on Cane Creek, three miles southwest of the current location. The community was known as Prairie Mount by 1853, when the first post office was established with James H. Stevenson as postmaster. Prairie Mount was located 2½ miles northwest of the Fort Shelton site. The post office was renamed Roxton in 1869. The new name is believed to be a simplification of Rockstown or Rockston; it refers either to a prominent white limestone outcropping located nearby or to a distinctive rock gate and posts built by William Klyce at his home and store midway between Fort Shelton and the present townsite. In 1887 the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway was extended one-half mile west of the original location of Roxton in order to connect with the Paris and Great Northern Railroad in Paris. Most of the town moved to the railroad soon afterward, and the original townsite became known as Old Roxton. Roxton had a population of 226 in 1890 and increased to 1,200 by 1914. In that year the town had thirty businesses, including two banks, three gins, and a telephone company. The population subsequently remained between 700 and 900 for several decades. Roxton serves as the marketing center of the surrounding agricultural area. Cotton was the original crop, but grain and cattle have since become the major products. The town was incorporated by 1974, and in 1980 it had twelve businesses, including one bank. The post office, the second oldest in the county, was still in operation. In 1990 the population was 639. The population reached 694 in 2000.
Lamar County Echo, January 6, 1977. Wright Patman, History of Post Offices-First Congressional District of Texas (Texarkana, Texas, 1946?). Kathleen E. and Clifton R. St. Clair, eds., Little Towns of Texas (Jacksonville, Texas: Jayroe Graphic Arts, 1982).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Michael M. Ludeman, "Roxton, TX," accessed February 12, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlr48.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles