ROCKETT, TEXAS. Rockett is on Farm Road 813 five miles northwest of Waxahachie in north central Ellis County. The site was settled in 1846 and originally known as Liberty. In 1852 it was renamed Rockett, after John Rockett, a pioneer settler in the area. The community grew slowly and in 1894 received a post office, which was closed in 1907. Rockett had a cotton gin in 1900. By 1933 the community had a population of 150 and two businesses. The population stayed the same through the mid-1960s, although after 1945 Rockett reported no businesses. From 1977 through 2000 the population was 124.
Edna Davis Hawkins, et al., History of Ellis County, Texas (Waco: Texian, 1972).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Brian Hart, "ROCKETT, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlr32), accessed May 03, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.