RED SPRINGS, TX (BAYLOR COUNTY)
RED SPRINGS, TEXAS (Baylor County). Red Springs, on U.S. Highway 82 ten miles west of Seymour in west central Baylor County, was named for springs flowing from a clay bank of the Salt Fork of the Brazos. Indians camped and buffalo watered at the springs before a trading post was established there in the late 1890s. The community developed rapidly when the Fort Worth and Denver City Railway was constructed in 1900. In 1940 the community had four stores, a school, and 100 people; the population was the same in 1980. In 1990 it was eighty-one. By 2000 the population had dropped to forty-two.
Baylor County Historical Society, Salt Pork to Sirloin, Vol. 1: The History of Baylor County, Texas, from 1879 to 1930 (Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1972); Vol. 2: The History of Baylor County, Texas, from 1878 to Present (1977).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."RED SPRINGS, TX (BAYLOR COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlr07), accessed April 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.