NORTH ZULCH, TX
NORTH ZULCH, TEXAS. North Zulch is at the intersection of State Highway 21 and U.S. Highway 190, six miles from the Navasota River and thirteen miles west of Madisonville in west central Madison County. It was established in 1907 when citizens of Zulch moved north to relocate along the newly constructed Trinity and Brazos Valley Railway, which had bypassed the old town. Telegraph service was established with the coming of the railroad. The Mexia Cut-off, a branch of the Houston and Texas Central Railway, was surveyed through the region, and two lakes known as the South Zulch and North Zulch reservoirs were prepared as watering places for the trains' steam engines. In 1908 a post office was established and a public school was organized in North Zulch. Classes were held in the Freewill Baptist Church until the following spring, when a two-story frame building was erected. In 1920 M. J. Webb became the editor and publisher of the first newspaper published in North Zulch, when the Christian Commonwealth was moved from Madisonville. Before 1932, when State Highway 21 was built, dirt roads served the area. Farm Road 39 was built on the roadbed of the old Houston and Texas Central. In 1931 the population of North Zulch peaked at 1,000, and the town was one of the three major communities in Madison County. By the later 1930s its population had stabilized at 400. In the mid-1960s the population dropped to 100; it was the same in 1990. The number of businesses declined from forty in 1931 to two in 1990. The town of Zulch was named in honor of Julius Zulch (see ZULCH, TEXAS). After his death, North Zulch was built on land from the Zulch estate. In 1906 Julius's son, Will Zulch, donated land for the construction of the Mexia Cut-off, and the town of North Zulch was established "astride the tracks." Julius Zulch and many of his family members are buried at the Willowhole Cemetery, two miles south of North Zulch.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Ann E. Hodges, "North Zulch, TX," accessed May 30, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hln27.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history every day,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles