NINEVEH, TEXAS. Nineveh is on Farm Road 3178 eight miles northwest of Malvern, thirteen miles northeast of Centerville, and sixteen miles southeast of Buffalo in central eastern Leon County. It was established in the late 1800s on the stagecoach route from Buffalo to Crockett. In the 1890s Nineveh became notorious for fistfights, gunfights, and quarrels, especially between members of the Democratic party and the Populist party (see PEOPLE'S PARTY). The town name was suggested by a Miss McCreary when the post office was established in 1900. Benjamin F. Tubb was the first postmaster. In 1907 the community had two schools for some twenty-five white and black students. Circuit-riding preachers held church services in the school building. In 1914 Nineveh had a population of fifty, a cotton gin, and a general store. By 1925 the population had grown to a high of 150, and it was reported at that level through the mid-1940s. In 1950 the town reported eighty residents and four businesses. The post office was discontinued in December 1966, but in 1968 Nineveh had 101 residents and five businesses. The population was still reported as 101 through 2000.
Leon County Historical Book Survey Committee, History of Leon County (Dallas: Curtis Media, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Maria Elena Kruger, "NINEVEH, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hln21), accessed March 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.