MONTE ALTO, TX
MONTE ALTO, TEXAS. Monte Alto is off Farm Road 88 sixteen miles north of Weslaco in east central Hidalgo County. In 1926 the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway built a line through Monte Alto and a siding called Rollo just outside the community. In 1947 the town had two businesses and a population of twenty-five. The Monte Alto school district was established on September 1, 1953. The population of the community increased gradually and reached 430 by 1964; at that time there were no businesses reported there. The Missouri Pacific rail line to Monte Alto from Edcouch was abandoned in 1968, at which time the population was estimated at 625. In 1990 Monte Alto had 1,769 residents. The population dropped to 1,611 in 2000.