MILES, TEXAS. Miles, on U.S. Highway 67, Farm Road 2872, and the Santa Fe Railroad, in southwestern Runnels County, was named for settler Jonathan Miles, who donated $5,000 for the extension of the railroad from Ballinger to San Angelo. The town has also been known as Miles City. It had a population of 814 in 1940. Its restored opera house was placed on the National Register in 1976, and other buildings, including the old country store, are being restored. Miles had a population of 739 in 1950 and nineteen businesses and 650 people in 1960. It had a post office, a bank, several businesses, and a population of 720 in 1980. In 1990 the population was 793. The population grew to 850 by 2000.
Kathleen E. and Clifton R. St. Clair, eds., Little Towns of Texas (Jacksonville, Texas: Jayroe Graphic Arts, 1982).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.William R. Hunt, "MILES, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlm67), accessed April 18, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Modified on March 18, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.