MARTIN SPRINGS, TX
MARTIN SPRINGS, TEXAS. Martin Springs, just off State Highway 11 and four miles south of Sulphur Springs in central Hopkins County, was settled by Mrs. A. M. Ardis in 1873. In 1877 she sold her home to Crofford Martin, for whom the community was named. A public school was operating there by 1900 and in 1905 had an enrollment of 108. By 1920 the community had two churches, a school, a mill, a gin, and a store. Martin Springs consisted of a church, a school, a cemetery, and a number of scattered dwellings in the mid-1930s. In 1940 its population was estimated at fifty, and in the mid-1960s only the church and a number of houses remained. During the late 1980s Martin Springs was a dispersed rural community. By 2000 the community revived with a population of 115.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.J. E. Jennings, "MARTIN SPRINGS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlm31), accessed November 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles