LEMING, TEXAS. Leming is at the intersection of U.S. Highway 281 and Farm Road 1470, twelve miles northeast of Jourdanton in northeastern Atascosa County. The name of the first post office, founded in 1880, was Las Gallinas. Around 1900 P. B. Leming, from Cape Girardeau, Missouri, moved to the town to be in charge of the development of the San Antonio, Uvalde and Gulf Railroad. When the railroad line was completed in 1902, the twenty-five residents of Las Gallinas successfully petitioned the United States postal service for the town to be called Leming. The First Baptist Church of Leming was founded in 1913. That year the Leming school district was formed, and the district constructed a new brick building in 1914. By that year the community had grown to a population of 150 and had telephone service, a bank, a cotton gin, and a restaurant. Throughout the 1920s and 1930s the population declined and then leveled off at about 100; five or six businesses remained active. In 1932 Leming's school offered kindergarten through the eleventh grade, and students finished their education at Poteet. In the late 1930s the population of Leming grew to 250, and it was reported at that level for the next fifty years. In 1940 Leming had five businesses, two churches, and a school. A local Catholic church was established in 1952. At first the congregation met in old army barracks brought from San Antonio, but in 1962 a new building was constructed. The local school was consolidated into the Pleasanton Independent School District in 1963, and after that time the Leming school functioned as an elementary for grades one through five. In 1980, though the Leming population was still reported as 250, the town had only one business. In 1984 Leming had three businesses, two churches, and a number of scattered dwellings. In 1990 the population was still reported as 250. The population was 268 in 2000.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Robin Dutton, "Leming, TX," accessed May 31, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hll36.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history every day,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles