LA BLANCA, TX
LA BLANCA, TEXAS. La Blanca is off State Highway 107 and Farm Road 493, sixteen miles northeast of McAllen in south central Hidalgo County. The town was named for La Blanca Ranch, which had been established on the Gil Zarate survey before 1800. Settlement by northern Anglo-Americans occurred when the railroad came to the area in 1908. In 1927 La Blanca became a post office on the Texas and New Orleans Railroad. The community's population was estimated at 200 in the late 1920s. In 1941 the town reported seven businesses and an estimated population of 150. In the early 1990s La Blanca was a dispersed rural community and reported a population of 150. By 2000 the population had grown to 2,351 with nine businesses.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Alicia A. Garza, "LA BLANCA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hll01), accessed May 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.