INDIAN SPRINGS, TX
INDIAN SPRINGS, TEXAS. Indian Springs was a small rural community located in central Polk County. A post office named Indian Springs opened on April 4, 1872, with Henry Hutto as postmaster. It operated for about two years. In 1892 residents established a school. Highway maps in the 1930s showed homes in the area. No further information was available about the historic community.
By the early 1980s another community by the name of Indian Springs existed east of Livingston. This real estate development in south central Polk County was named for nearby springs. In 2000 this community had 250 residents.
A Pictorial History of Polk County, Texas, 1846–1910 (Livingston, Texas: Heritage Committee of the Polk County Bicentennial Committee and the Polk County Historical Commission, 1976; rev. ed. 1978).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Laurie E. Jasinski, "INDIAN SPRINGS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hli15), accessed August 03, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.