- Annual Meeting
- Get Involved
HIGGINS, TEXAS. Higgins, on U.S. Highway 60 two miles from the Oklahoma border in southeastern Lipscomb County, is in the heart of the North Texas grasslands of the early cattle ranges. The area has been associated with Juan de Padilla, a Franciscan monk who came with Francisco Vazquez de Coronado, later returned to work among the Indians, and was martyred in 1544. The actual site of his missionary activity, however, is unknown. Settlement of the site began in 1886, when the Santa Fe Railroad made preliminary surveys of the vicinity for extending its Panhandle branch line, then known as the Southern Kansas, from Wichita. E. C. Gray and the brothers James and George Patton filed claims and built their homes on these survey sections. The following year B. H. Eldridge and E. B. Purcell laid out the town, which they named for G. H. Higgins of Massachusetts, a wealthy stockholder in the Santa Fe. The coming of the railroad attracted more homesteaders and businessmen, and by 1888 a post office, a school, a saloon, a hotel, a livery stable, and several stores had been erected. Area ranchers soon made the town a major cattle-shipping point. In 1898 nineteen-year-old Will Rogers came to Higgins and worked for a time on the Ewing family's Little Robe Ranch. Higgins was incorporated in 1908 and won a considerable reputation as a progressive-minded community. Its citizens remodeled its downtown area in 1911 and again in 1929. Higgins has weathered depressions, dust storms, and cyclones, its worst disaster occurring on April 9, 1947, when a tornado claimed forty-five lives and devastated several residences and the business district. The local newspaper, the Higgins News, has been in operation since 1897; it replaced the earlier Courier, begun in 1888. The town is a grain and livestock marketing center and since 1956 has benefited from oil drilling. In 1984 Higgins reported a population of 702 and seventeen businesses. In 1962 the town began an annual observance of Will Rogers Day, in honor of the cowboy philosopher, who remained a close friend of Frank Ewing, the son of his old employer. In 1990 the population was 464, and in 2000 it was 425.
BIBLIOGRAPHY:Carlos E. Castañeda, Our Catholic Heritage in Texas (7 vols., Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1936–1958; rpt., New York: Arno, 1976). A History of Lipscomb County, Texas, 1876–1976 (Lipscomb, Texas: Lipscomb County Historical Survey Committee, 1976).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, H. Allen Anderson, "HIGGINS, TX," accessed January 22, 2019, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlh42.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.