GARCIASVILLE, TEXAS. Garciasville is at the intersection of Farm Road 1430 and the Old Military Highway, a mile south of U.S. Highway 83 and twelve miles east of Rio Grande City in southern Starr County. It was named for an early settler and originated in the nineteenth century as a supply point for the mostly Spanish-speaking ranchers of the area. The community was later a market for vegetables and citrus fruits grown in the irrigated land of the Rio Grande valley. A post office opened in 1929. The town had two stores and a population of fifty in 1950 and 104 from the mid-1970s to 1990, when it shared a post office, Our Lady of Peace Catholic Church, and Union Elementary School (a part of Rio Grande City Consolidated School District) with La Casita. Garciasville is a bedroom community for Rio Grande City, Mission, and McAllen.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Dick D. Heller, Jr., "GARCIASVILLE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlg03), accessed May 22, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.