ETTER, TEXAS. Etter, on U.S. Highway 287 in northern Moore County, was established as a stop on the North Plains and Santa Fe Railroad in 1930 and was named for W. K. Etter, a vice president of the road. Later the Chicago, Rock Island and Gulf Railway intersected the Santa Fe at this point. In 1940 Etter comprised the railroad switch, three businesses, and a reported population of 150. When the Cactus industrial community was established to the north in 1942, Etter's businesses and many of its residents were absorbed into the new town. In 1980 and 1990 Etter reported a population of 160.
Myrna Tryon Thomas, The Windswept Land: A History of Moore City (Dumas, Texas, 1967).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.H. Allen Anderson, "ETTER, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hle28), accessed May 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.