ENCINO, TEXAS. Encino is a rural community on U.S. Highway 281 eighteen miles south of Falfurrias in southern Brooks County. Its site is within Luciano Chapa's 1832 Mexican land grant, called La Encantada y Encina del Pozo ("Enchanted Place and Live Oak in a Hole"), a name reportedly derived from a large live oak at the site, around which a hole gradually developed as wind erosion and animals seeking the oak's shade wore down the surrounding land. The Encino community was established at the site in the early 1900s as a roundup point for cattle raised by Mexican cattlemen. The Texas and New Orleans Railroad was completed through Encino in 1904, and a post office was established there in 1914. The community's population in 1925 was fifty, and it remained at that level until 1939, when a population of 100 was reported. The population of Encino was estimated at 200 by 1941, but it dropped to 125 by 1945. In 1948 Encino had three schools, a church, and several dwellings. In 1970 the community's population was 110, and in 1976 it had eleven businesses. In 1982 Encino had a school, a church, three businesses, and several dwellings. During the early 1990s it was a dispersed community with nine businesses and 110 inhabitants. In 2000 the population was 177 with eighteen businesses.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Alicia A. Garza, "ENCINO, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hle21), accessed April 24, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.