ELROY, TEXAS. Elroy is on Farm Road 812 some twelve miles south of Austin in southeastern Travis County. One local story has it that Antonio López de Santa Anna gave the land in the area to one of his officers, who in turn traded it for a horse and saddle to return to Mexico. The Elroy community, also known as Driskill, Dutch Waterhole, or Hume, was established in 1892 and was named by a local storeowner for his son Leroy. A post office opened in Elroy in 1899, with George L. Hume as postmaster. This post office was discontinued in 1902, and mail was sent to Del Valle. In 1907 Elroy had a two-teacher school for 107 white students and a one-teacher school for sixty-one black students. The Elroy schools were consolidated in 1961 with the Colorado district, which the next year became the Del Valle Independent School District. The population of Elroy grew from twenty-five in 1933 to 125 in 1947; its population was still reported as 125 in 2000.
Mary Starr Barkley, History of Travis County and Austin, 1839–1899 (Waco: Texian Press, 1963). John J. Germann and Myron Janzen, Texas Post Offices by County (1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "ELROY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hle15), accessed July 02, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.