EDMONSON, TEXAS. Edmonson, originally known as Running Water, was platted by W. W. Edmonson in August 1929 at the Edmonson switch on the Fort Worth and Denver Railway twelve miles northwest of Plainview in south central Hale County. The town lies at the junction of State Highway 194 and Farm Road 1424. Running Water Draw was near the headquarters of the Morrison ranch, established in 1881 as the first ranch in the county. Later the land became part of C. C. Slaughter's extensive holdings. Settlers bought railroad lands in the area, and in 1890 a post office called Wadsworth was established. For promotional reasons the name was changed to Running Water in 1891. That year a school was built, and the town was platted. The railroad bypassed Running Water, and in 1928 the community's businesses were moved three miles north to the rail line. In 1935 the Running Water post office was moved to Edmonson and two years later was renamed Edmonson; Running Water was abandoned. In 1940 Edmonson had two grain elevators and 100 residents. It was incorporated in 1963 and in 1980 had four businesses and eighty-one residents. Its population in 1990 was reported as 107. In 2000 the population was 123.
Image Use Disclaimer
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.