DOBBIN, TEXAS. Dobbin is on Lake Creek at the junction of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe, the Burlington Northern, and the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific railroads, near the intersection of State Highway 105 and Farm Road 1486 in western Montgomery County. The earliest mention of the area comes from the French explorer René Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle, who camped northwest of the site of Dobbin on February 14, 1687. One of the first families to settle in the area was that of Noah and Ester Wightman Griffith, natives of New York state, who received a Mexican land grant there in 1831.
In 1878 the Central and Montgomery Railway built a line through the area from Navasota to Montgomery. A post office was established in 1880 under the name Bobbin. In 1885 Bobbin was a shipping point for cotton and lumber and had daily mail service, four sawmills, a gristmill, a flour mill, a church, a district school, two general stores, a physician, and a population of 100. By the 1890s the settlement had a Baptist church, a cotton gin, W. G. Post's sawmill, J. M. Stinson's general store, two livestock dealers, one combination mill and gin, a blacksmith, and a population of 250. In 1903–04 the town had three one-teacher schools; one had thirty-seven white students, a second had eighteen white students, and the third had forty-three black students. By this time the population had declined to 168.
In 1906 or 1907 the Trinity and Brazos Valley Railway built through Bobbin on its way from Mexia to Houston, making the town a railroad junction. In 1909 the town's name was changed to Dobbin. By 1915 the population was 100, and local businesses included three general stores, two blacksmith shops, a drugstore, and a grocery. In 1926 Dobbin School was established. By the late 1940s the community had three churches, two schools, two sawmills, two factories, nine businesses, the railroad station, several dwellings, and a population of 175. In 1965 Dobbin had a post-peeling plant. In the late 1960s the population was 106, and in the early 1970s it was 170. In 2000 the town had seven businesses, including Mock's Feed Store and Grocery and Hoffart's Store; a post office; the Dobbin station of the Montgomery Fire Department; two churches; and a collection of dwellings. The population was still estimated at 170.
Robin Navarro Montgomery, The History of Montgomery County (Austin: Jenkins, 1975). Montgomery County Genealogical Society, Montgomery County History (Winston-Salem, North Carolina: Hunter, 1981).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Will Branch, "DOBBIN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hld27), accessed July 31, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.