CAMPBELL, TX (HUNT COUNTY)
CAMPBELL, TEXAS (Hunt County). Campbell is a mile north of Interstate Highway 30 and six miles east of Greenville in eastern Hunt County. Settlement began at the site in the fall of 1880, when the long-awaited East Line and Red River Railroad was extended from Black Jack Grove to Greenville. The town was built around the railroad, and a station was constructed. A post office was established in June 1881, and the community was officially named Oliverea. By fall of that year, however, the town was generally referred to as Campbell or sometimes Tom Campbell, perhaps in honor of Thomas M. Campbell, later governor of Texas, who had played a prominent part in the extension of the railroad. At least one source contends that the Tom Campbell for whom the town was named was not the governor, since the community was established before Governor Campbell became prominent. The name of the post office was officially changed to Campbell in September 1882.
Campbell became a shipping center for area farmers and by 1900 had a population of 508 and twelve businesses, as well as a college, Henry College, founded in 1892. Although the town lost its college in 1906, when Emerson College, the successor of Henry College, was forced to close, Campbell's population remained stable. The town was incorporated in 1912 with an aldermanic form of government. Between 1920, when the population was 583, and 1925, the small farming community experienced a burst of growth. By 1925 Campbell had a telephone exchange, a bank, power and light services, a weekly newspaper, twenty commercial establishments, and an estimated population of 1,000. By 1930 there were only twelve businesses remaining, and the population had fallen to 416. Although the population remained stable thereafter until the early 1960s, the number of businesses continued to decline. By 1936 the bank had closed, and by the early 1950s only seven businesses remained. In 1961 only four were still open. The population reached a low of 204 in 1970. In the mid-1980s, when Campbell had six businesses, the town was reincorporated to take in part of the surrounding rural area; consequently, the population jumped to 549. In 1990 it was 683, and in 2000 it was 734.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Cecil Harper, Jr., "Campbell, TX (Hunt County)," accessed September 25, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlc04.
Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.