BUDA, TEXAS. Buda, on Interstate Highway 35 seventeen miles south of downtown Austin in eastern Hays County, was formally established on April 1, 1881, when Cornelia Trimble donated land for a townsite at an International-Great Northern Railroad depot there. The area, originally a part of the Mexican land grant to Stephen vanRensslaer Egleston, had been settled as early as 1846 by Phillip J. Allen. The first community center in this part of the county, Mountain City, developed before the Civil War, but it was rapidly depopulated as its residents and businesses flocked to the new rail depot, which took the name of Du Pre. Folklore has it that this name originated in 1880, when, as the railroad pushed into Hays County, the postmaster at Mountain City approached a railroad official and requested, "Do, pray, give us a depot." In 1887, at the request of the post office department, the name was changed to Buda. The common explanation for the new name is that it derives from Spanish viuda, "widow." The town had gained a reputation as a popular eating stop for rail travelers, and the name may refer to a pair of widows who cooked at the Carrington Hotel in the 1880s. The provision of supplies and services to surrounding dairy farms and ranches was the basis of the local economy, and at different times the community supported mills, hotels, banks, a lumberyard, two newspapers, a cheese factory, a movie theater, and a skating rink. In 1928 local businesses organized a chamber of commerce. Buda remained an active commercial center and railroad depot until the Great Depression. In 1929 its population was estimated at 600, but by 1933 it fell to 300. Only in the mid-1980s, as the growth of Austin began to be felt in Buda, did its population once again approach predepression levels. The town was incorporated in 1948, and in 1967 Buda, Kyle, and Wimberley formed the Hays Consolidated Independent School District (only Buda and Kyle remained in the district after 1986). By the mid-1980s Buda had attracted a cement plant and some craft industry, but the community was still primarily rural and residential. Its population was 1,795 in 1990 and 2,204 in 2000.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Daniel P. Greene, "BUDA, TX," accessed November 14, 2019, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlb59.
Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.