BECTON, TEXAS. Becton is on the Burlington Northern Railroad just east of Farm Road 400 and twenty-four miles northeast of Lubbock in northeastern Lubbock County. It was first named for W. E. Bledsoe of the Three Circle Ranch, but in 1917, when E. H. Moody applied for a post office, there was already a Texas town named Bledsoe, so he used the name Becton, after Abner M. Becton, an early settler who donated land for a new school building. Moody then became the first and only postmaster. Mail reached Becton by way of Lorenzo Star Route until the Fort Worth and Denver Railway began operation in 1928. According to old-timers, the post office operated until 1949; other sources indicate that it closed by 1943. The first school was a one-room building constructed by W. E. Bledsoe, where students attended for two terms. The school also housed local church services. It was moved to a new location in 1910 but later burned. In 1924 a new brick building was built. The Bledsoe Independent School District is one of the oldest in Lubbock County; at one time it was incorporated with the Estacado school district. In the summer of 1936 Bledsoe School became a part of the Idalou school district. The Bledsoe Church of Christ was established in 1917 and served the community until the early 1970s. The Baptist church in Bledsoe was first organized in 1915 as the Bethany Baptist Church, and the group had its own building. In the 1920s the Baptist group built a new building named Becton Baptist Church. Because of declining membership the small remaining congregation disbanded in 1973.
The community was located in a rich farming area and was increasingly prosperous with the advent of irrigation. In 1936 Becton had three businesses, two schools, a church, and a population of twenty-five. In 1945–46 there were still three businesses, and the population had jumped to 150. In 1974 Becton had no businesses and a population of 125. In 1978 the community had three churches and a factory. In 1990 it had no businesses and 125 residents. In 2000 the population remained unchanged.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Jeanne F. Lively, "Becton, TX," accessed September 26, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlb17.
Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.