- Get Involved
ARTHUR CITY, TX
ARTHUR CITY, TEXAS. Arthur City is on the Red River at the intersection of Farm Road 197 and U.S. Highway 271 in extreme north central Lamar County. The town was founded by Capt. J. G. C. Arthur in 1886 as a stop on the St. Louis-San Francisco Railway. Arthur donated the land for the railroad right-of-way and had it platted into twelve blocks. The post office was established that same year. By 1890 Arthur City had 300 residents, three general stores, a Western Union telegraph office, a blacksmith shop, a furniture maker, and an undertaker. J. H. Arthur was postmaster. In 1892 a new hotel, a doctor's office, and a sawmill were established. A common school had been organized by 1896, when it enrolled twenty-five pupils and employed one teacher. The most prosperous years for the town were the early railroad days, when lumber resources were untapped and prices for farm produce were high. By 1904, however, the local timber supply was becoming exhausted, and many residents began to leave the vicinity in search of other jobs, particularly in cities such as nearby Dallas. In 1914 most commercial enterprises in Arthur City had closed, leaving the telegraph office, a grocery, a telephone exchange, and two general stores. Residents numbered 150. Throughout the 1920s and 1930s, the town had five businesses and 200 residents. By 1943 it had a population of 100 and three businesses. The school had closed by 1957, and local students attended school in the Chicota Independent School District. In 1959 the population was sixty. The growth of nearby Paris, the mechanization of farming, and the development of nearby Pat Mayse Lake led to an economic turnaround in the 1960s and 1970s. In 1961 the town had eleven commercial enterprises and a population of 300. By 1970 the population had stabilized between 200 and 250. Children attended the North Lamar schools. In 1983 Arthur City had eight businesses, two churches, a post office, and a community center. In 1989 it had five businesses and 200 residents, most of whom were part-time farmers and worked in nearby Paris. The population remained the same in 2000.
BIBLIOGRAPHY:Fred I. Massengill, Texas Towns: Origin of Name and Location of Each of the 2,148 Post Offices in Texas (Terrell, Texas, 1936). A. W. Neville, The History of Lamar County, Texas (Paris, Texas: North Texas, 1937; rpt. 1986).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Vista K. McCroskey, "ARTHUR CITY, TX," accessed August 23, 2019, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/HLA26.
Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.