ADRIAN, TEXAS. Adrian, on Interstate Highway 40 and U.S. Highway 66 in south central Oldham County, originated in 1900 when the Rock Island survey west of Amarillo picked the site as a station. The first settler in the vicinity was Calvin G. Aten, a former Texas Ranger, who built a dugout for his family west of the site. The town was named for Adrian Cullen, an early farmer in the area, and officially began in the summer of 1909, when the Chicago, Rock Island and Gulf Railway was completed through that portion of the county. Promotion by the Iowa-based American-Canadian Land and Townsite Company quickly attracted prospective farmers and businessmen. J. P. Collier, who owned several lots, set up a printing press and provided a city water well and a few two-inch water mains. By 1910 Adrian had a post office, a pool hall, a school, a general store, a lumberyard, a bank, a blacksmith shop, a brick factory, and a newspaper, the Adrian Eagle. In 1915 the town had two churches, a drugstore, telephone service, and a population of fifty. The reason for this slow growth was a lengthy drought, coupled with the difficulty of maintaining a sufficient water supply. Nevertheless, Adrian survived famines and black dusters to become a stopping place for travelers on Route 66 and a shipping point for area wheat growers. The town's first grain elevator was built in 1929. During the 1940s Adrian organized a volunteer fire department, and in 1953 the citizens voted to incorporate with a mayor-council government. By 1984 the population had grown to 222. In 1990 the population was 220, and in 2000 the community reported twelve businesses and 159 inhabitants. The Midpoint Café commemorates the claim that Adrian is the midpoint of Route 66 between Chicago and Los Angeles, and has a collection of highway memorabilia.
Oldham County Historical Commission, Oldham County (Dallas: Taylor, 1981). Kathleen E. and Clifton R. St. Clair, eds., Little Towns of Texas (Jacksonville, Texas: Jayroe Graphic Arts, 1982).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.H. Allen Anderson, "ADRIAN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hla06), accessed February 09, 2016. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles