WEST VERNON, TX
WEST VERNON, TEXAS. Located along the western border of what is now Vernon in north central Wilbarger County, West Vernon grew up around the first rural school district established in the county in 1893. It voted to incorporate on February 21, 1927, and by the 1930s had grown to include twelve businesses and a population of 955. In 1944 Vernon annexed West Vernon. The schools officially merged in 1945. A population figure of 955 was listed separately for West Vernon through the 1960s. No evidence of the former town was indicated on 1980 county maps.
Wilbarger County Historical Commission, Wilbarger County (Lubbock, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles G. Davis, "WEST VERNON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hjw06), accessed November 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles