SETH WARD, TX
SETH WARD, TEXAS. Seth Ward is a suburban community by the intersection of Farm roads 1767 and 400, just northeast of Plainview in northeastern Hale County. The Central Plains College and Conservatory of Music was built on the site in 1907, and in 1910 the school became Seth Ward College, named for Seth Ward, a Methodist bishop. The school burned down in 1916 and was not rebuilt. The community was identified as Seth Ward by 1920. Significant development began in the area after World War II, and by 1950 Seth Ward was an unincorporated suburban community of 1,035 inhabitants. Its population reached 1,328 in 1960, then grew to 1,600 in 1974. The community declined to 1,111 residents in 1990, but increased dramatically in the 1990s to reach 1,926 inhabitants in 2000.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "SETH WARD, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hjsbq), accessed March 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.