SOUTHSIDE PLACE, TX
SOUTHSIDE PLACE, TEXAS. Southside Place, a suburb of Houston, is an independent municipality almost encircled by West University Place and Bellaire within the Interstate 610 Loop in west central Harris County. The community comprised roughly one square mile in area and had 600 residents when it incorporated in 1934. A post office was established by 1940. The population stabilized at approximately 1,400 before World War II, reached at high of 1,500 in the 1960s, and subsequently declined to a low of 1,263 by 1979. In the 1980s a park, administered by the Southside Park Association, in which all property owners had a share and a vote, and a narrow commercial strip of three dozen businesses, made up the heart of the community. The population was recorded at 1,560 in 1988 and 1,384 in 1990. In 2000 the population reached 1,546.
Houston Metropolitan Research Center Files, Houston Public Library.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "SOUTHSIDE PLACE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hjs21), accessed March 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.