RIO HONDO, TX
RIO HONDO, TEXAS. Rio Hondo is off Farm roads 508 and 1846 on the northeastern boundary of Harlingen in north central Cameron County. It was established in 1910 and named for its location on the Arroyo Colorado. Río hondo is Spanish for "deep river." The first settler was J. R. George, who operated a general store and served as the first postmaster when the post office was established in 1911. In 1914 Rio Hondo had a population of 150, a restaurant, and various stores and businesses. By 1925 its population was estimated at 250, and it increased to 1,000 by 1929. Rio Hondo was incorporated in 1939, when it had 713 residents and thirty-three businesses. The town population was an estimated 1,128 in 1950. In 1990 Rio Hondo reported a population of 1,793. The population was 1,942 in 2000. The Missouri Pacific line ran through the eastern side of town, and the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway cut through the western part.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Alicia A. Garza, "RIO HONDO, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hjr08), accessed November 25, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles