PATTON, TX (MCLENNAN COUNTY)
PATTON, TEXAS (McLennan County). Patton is on Hog Creek and State Highway 317, six miles north of Crawford in northwestern McLennan County. The Patton post office, with John W. Saunders as postmaster, was established in 1879, two years before the arrival of the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway. By the 1890s the settlement had a general store and 120 residents, and stockraising was the primary occupation. In 1896 the school at Patton had eighty-seven students and one teacher. With the exception of brief periods in 1881 and 1883, the post office remained in operation until 1904, when mail for Patton was sent to Valley Mills. A church, a business, and a few residences marked the community on county highway maps in the 1930s and 1940s, when the population was reported at thirty. A church and scattered houses were shown on maps of the area in the 1970s.
Dayton Kelley, ed., The Handbook of Waco and McLennan County, Texas (Waco: Texian, 1972). William Robert Poage, McLennan County Before 1980 (Waco: Texian, 1981).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "PATTON, TX (MCLENNAN COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hjp06), accessed October 09, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.