WEST LAKE HILLS, TX
WEST LAKE HILLS, TEXAS. West Lake Hills is on Farm Road 2244 on the west side of Lake Austin at the edge of the Edwards Plateau, six miles west of downtown Austin in west central Travis County. It was incorporated in 1953 and has served as a residential area for Austin jobholders. It receives mail through the city of Austin. In the early 1960s West Lake Hills obtained a fire engine and other fire-fighting equipment through voluntary contributions of its residents. The community was in the Eanes Independent School District. The population was 714 in 1960, 1,488 in 1970, and 1,927 in 1980. In 1990 the population was 2,542. The population reached 3,116 in 2000.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."WEST LAKE HILLS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/HGW04), accessed March 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.