WAKE VILLAGE, TX
WAKE VILLAGE, TEXAS. Wake Village is an incorporated town just west of Texarkana on U.S. Highway 67 in eastern Bowie County. It was founded in 1944 or early 1945 to house workers from the nearby Red River Army Depot and Lone Star Army Ammunition Plant, and was evidently named for Wake Island, a site of bitter fighting during World War II. The community incorporated soon after its founding, and by the early 1950s the population had reached 1,066. Since that time Wake Village continued to grow steadily, and in 1991 it had a population of 4,413. In 2000 the population was 5,129. Most of the residents worked at the nearby army installations or in Texarkana.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "WAKE VILLAGE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hgw01), accessed April 25, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.