ROBINSON, TX (MCLENNAN COUNTY)
ROBINSON, TEXAS (McLennan County). Robinson, on State Highway 77 six miles south of Waco in central McLennan County, came into existence after brothers John and Levi Robinson established homesteads in the area in the early 1850s. The original Robinson home was built on land that later became the J. W. Mann farm. To encourage the growth of the village in 1856, the brothers surveyed 171 acres of land and marked off forty-two four-acre lots for other homesteaders. The Robinsons sponsored the settlement's first school in 1860, when they hired a private tutor for their children. The teacher, Mr. Moore, lived with the Robinson families. From 1879 to 1906, Robinson had its own post office. Postmasters included J. R. Robinson and L. B. Foster, both of whom also operated general stores. In 1885 Robinson had a population of 600 that supported three cotton gins, two churches, three general stores, and a school. J. W. McKee and Sons, a broom factory, was also in operation. In 1888 Rev. John Strauss founded the Robinson Academy. The weekly newspaper was the Robinson Bulletin. By the late 1890s, the population had dropped to 300 despite the continued operation of the broom factory. Three churches were built during the latter years of the nineteenth century-the Baptist church in 1866, the Presbyterian church in 1874, and the German Evangelical Lutheran church in 1884. Social clubs founded in the early twentieth century and still functioning as late as the 1950s included the Merry Robins and the Chatter Club. Robinson was incorporated in 1955. In 1958 its site comprised twelve square miles adjacent to Waco. Business owners organized the chamber of commerce in 1957. By 1960 the population had grown to 2,110. Residents numbered close to 7,000 in 1980. In 1982 the town had its own water system fed by seven artesian wells, as well as its own sewer system. The same year, Robinson had a volunteer fire department, a police department, and a unit of the Texas Department of Public Safety. In 1990 the town was primarily residential. It had a population of 7,111 and numerous small businesses. Although it had a contract post office, residents were served by the Waco postal service. The Robinson Independent School District consisted of a high school, a junior high, and three elementaries. In 2000 the population reached 7,845.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Annie Scott, "ROBINSON, TX (MCLENNAN COUNTY)," accessed July 10, 2020, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hfr07.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.