FOREST HILL, TX (TARRANT COUNTY)
FOREST HILL, TEXAS (Tarrant County). Forest Hill is at the intersection of Interstate Highway 20/820 and State Highway 496, eight miles southeast of Fort Worth in south central Tarrant County. It was established as a residential suburb of Fort Worth by 1896, when its segregated schools registered fifteen black students and ninety-one white students and employed three teachers. By 1905 Forest Hill operated no school for black students and two schools for white; the schools had 226 students and four teachers. In 1911 the community was designated a stop on the Fort Worth Southern Traction Company's electric interurban rail line between Fort Worth and Cleburne. By 1925 Forest Hill reported a population of twenty-five and two businesses. In the late 1940s the population was ninety; it increased to 1,519 by the mid-1950s. By this time Forest Hill had incorporated. Forest Hill continued to grow as a result of its proximity to Fort Worth: in 1967 its population was 3,800; in 1976 it was 19,250; in 1990 it was 11,482; and in 2000 it was 12,949.
Historic Resources Survey: Selected Tarrant County Communities (Fort Worth: Historic Preservation Council for Tarrant County, 1990).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Brian Hart, "FOREST HILL, TX (TARRANT COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hef02), accessed October 06, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.