HAMILTON COUNTY (JUDICIAL)
HAMILTON COUNTY (Judicial). Hamilton County was established for judicial and other purposes on February 2, 1842. It included the north half of what is now Walker County, the east portion of Madison County, and parts of Houston, Trinity, and Polk counties; Cincinnati was made the county seat. Hamilton County was abolished by a Texas Supreme Court decision, Stockton v. Montgomery (1842), which declared judicial counties unconstitutional. Present Hamilton County, in West Central Texas, was established in 1858.
James Wilmer Dallam, A Digest of the Laws of Texas (Baltimore: Toy, 1845). Hans Peter Nielsen Gammel, comp., Laws of Texas, 1822–1897 (10 vols., Austin: Gammel, 1898).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Seymour V. Connor, "HAMILTON COUNTY (JUDICIAL)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hch51), accessed September 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.