LYNDON B. JOHNSON STATE HISTORICAL PARK
LYNDON B. JOHNSON STATE HISTORICAL PARK. Lyndon B. Johnson State Historical Park is a strip of land bounded on the north by the Pedernales River and on the south by U.S. Highway 290, 1½ miles east of Stonewall in eastern Gillespie County. The park, which is two miles long and a half mile wide, comprises 718 acres. It commemorates the life and career of Gillespie County's most famous citizen, Lyndon B. Johnson, whose birthplace and ranch just across the river are part of Lyndon B. Johnson National Historical Park. The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department accepted 269 acres along the Pedernales from various friends of President Johnson in 1967 and, after various improvements funded in part by a federal land and water conservation grant, opened it to the public on June 1, 1969. The park was officially dedicated on August 29, 1970, in a ceremony attended by Johnson and his wife, Lady Bird. By 1975 the state had expanded the park to its current size at a cost of more than $1 million.
The area was the home of as many as ten different groups of primitive peoples between 5000 B.C. and A.D. 1500, and the 25,000 artifacts found at the park indicate that it was once the site of a stone quarry and midden. Besides the visitors' center, which houses a display of Johnson memorabilia and a 250-seat auditorium, the park includes the Behrens Cabin, built in the 1870s by German immigrant Johannes Behrens and furnished with typical nineteenth-century furnishings; the Sauer-Beckmann Farmstead, a historical farm operated as it was in 1918; and a nature trail through wildlife enclosures with buffalo, white-tailed deer, wild turkeys, longhorn cattle, and other native fauna. Other facilities at the park are an outdoor amphitheater, a swimming pool, tennis courts, a baseball diamond, and a number of picnic areas. In its first five years of operation the park attracted over 3½ million visitors.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Martin Donell Kohout, "Lyndon B. Johnson State Historical Park," accessed May 05, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/gkl19.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history every day,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles