LAKE MINERAL WELLS STATE PARK
LAKE MINERAL WELLS STATE PARK. Lake Mineral Wells State Park is off U.S. Highway 180 four miles east of Mineral Wells in Palo Pinto County. The 2,905-acre park, which includes the 646-acre Lake Mineral Wells, was originally part of Camp Wolters, established in 1926 as a training ground for the Texas National Guard. During World War II the base served as an infantry training center. The army closed the camp in 1946, and in 1951 the air force took it over and changed the name to Wolters Air Force Base. The army resumed control of the site in 1956, renamed it Fort Wolters, and used it as a helicopter training center until 1974, when it was closed permanently. Some of the land was given to other agencies, but nearly 3,000 acres, including the lake, which was constructed by the city of Mineral Wells for water supply, was deeded to the state parks department. The park features steep hills, deep ravines, and some open savannah. Post oaks and blackjack oaks are scattered throughout the flat areas, while the ravines are heavily wooded with cedar, elm, pecan, cottonwood, and red oak trees. Facilities include fishing piers, a boat ramp, camping and picnicking areas, hiking and equestrian trails, and eight screened shelters.
Ray Miller, Texas Parks (Houston: Cordovan, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "LAKE MINERAL WELLS STATE PARK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/gkl06), accessed July 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.