INDIANOLA STATE HISTORIC PARK
INDIANOLA STATE HISTORIC PARK. Indianola State Historic Park, a 300-acre park located at the end of State Highway 316 on the shores of Lavaca Bay thirteen miles southeast of Port Lavaca in southern Calhoun County, is at the site of old Indianola. The state acquired the site in 1958 by deed from Calhoun County and provided it with facilities for fishing, boating, camping, picnicking, swimming, and history study. In the early 1960s a land dispute with a local resident resulted in reapportioning of the property, giving the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department ownership of a "checkerboard" area unsuitable for state park development. The park was transferred back to the county in June 1970 and ceased to function as a state park.
Ross A. Maxwell, Geologic and Historic Guide to the State Parks of Texas (Bureau of Economic Geology, University of Texas at Austin, 1970). Texas State Travel Guide (Austin: State Department of Highways and Public Transportation, 1988).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "INDIANOLA STATE HISTORIC PARK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/gkiqj), accessed July 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.