BASTROP STATE PARK
BASTROP STATE PARK. Bastrop State Park is located on State Highway 71 three miles east of Bastrop in central Bastrop County. It was established in 1938, when the city of Bastrop gave the state 2,100 acres. The Civilian Conservation Corps built the original park facilities. The park featured part of the Lost Pine Forestqv and offered swimming, camping, and picnicking facilities, as well as a nine-hole golf course. Park Road 1, which connected Bastrop and Buescher state parks, was a popular route for both cyclists and motorists. The state acquired an additional 1,450 acres for the park in 1979. In 1990 the park attracted nearly half a million visitors.
Ross A. Maxwell, Geologic and Historic Guide to the Texas State Parks (Bureau of Economic Geology, University of Texas at Austin, 1970). A. Gayland Moore, "Woodland Parks," Texas Parks and Wildlife, March 1989.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "BASTROP STATE PARK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/gkb01), accessed May 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.