BATTLESHIP TEXAS STATE HISTORIC SITE
BATTLESHIP TEXAS STATE HISTORIC SITE. The Battleship Texas State Historic Site, near the San Jacinto Monumentqv in east Harris County, is the final resting place of the former United States Navy battleship Texasqv. The ship was acquired through the efforts of the Battleship Texas Commission, established by an act of the Fiftieth State Legislature, which helped Texans raise money to bring the ship back to Texas and initially administered the site. On April 21, 1948, the ship was decommissioned, presented to the state of Texas, and recommissioned as flagship of the Texas Navy (not the Texas Navy of the republic era). Restorations were begun in 1988, based on plans drawn up by a naval architect in 1984 and funded by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, which acquired the ship in 1983.
Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "BATTLESHIP TEXAS STATE HISTORIC SITE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/ghb01), accessed May 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.