SAM BELL MAXEY HOUSE STATE HISTORICAL SITE
SAM BELL MAXEY HOUSE STATE HISTORICAL SITE. The Sam Bell Maxey House, located at 812 South Church Street in Paris, Texas, was built 1866–67 by Samuel Bell Maxey, prominent local attorney and later United State senator. Maxey, who served as a major general in the Confederate Army, built the large two-story frame house just after his return from the war. The structure, which shows both late Greek Revival and Italianate influences, was altered in 1911 but retains most of its original features and detailing. Members of the Maxey family lived in the house until 1966, when Alice Fairfax Stone presented it to the Lamar County Historical Society. It became a Registered Texas Historic Landmark in 1962 and was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971. Later that year title to the property passed to the city of Paris. The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department received title in April 1976 and around 1980 restored the structure, which is now open to the public.
Drury Blakeley Alexander and (photographs) Todd Webb, Texas Homes of the Nineteenth Century (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1966). Art Black, Archeological Testing at Sam Bell Maxey State Historic Structure (Austin: Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, 1981). Marker Files, Texas Historical Commission, Austin. James Wright Steely, comp., A Catalog of Texas Properties in the National Register of Historic Places (Austin: Texas Historical Commission, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "SAM BELL MAXEY HOUSE STATE HISTORICAL SITE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/ggs01), accessed November 25, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles