- Annual Meeting
- Get Involved
WILLIAMS, HENRY (1803?–?). Henry Williams, with partner John T. Bowman one of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred families, received title to a sitio of land in the area of present Matagorda County on August 21, 1824. He was probably the same Henry Williams, born in North Carolina around 1803, whom the 1860 census listed as a farmer, aged fifty-six, living in Matagorda County with his fifty-four-year-old wife, Susan R. of Kentucky, and five children, all born in Texas. In January 1827 one Henry Williams was present at a meeting that declared loyalty to the Mexican government and protested the Fredonian Rebellion. In October 1835 a Henry Williams was among the volunteers under George Morse Collinsworth who signed a pledge to give protection to the citizens of Goliad, provided that they support the republican principles of Mexico's Constitution of 1824 (see GOLIAD CAMPAIGN OF 1835). A Henry Williams appears on several muster rolls from the Texas Revolution, and two Henry Williams and one Henry B. Williams are listed as receiving bounty land warrants in 1837 and later for various spans of service in the Texas army. Henry H. Williams of Houston, who may or may not have been the same man, was appointed Republic of Texas consul at Baltimore in 1838. In 1840 one Henry Williams was among the jurors in the Matagorda trial of Albert G. Newton for the 1839 shooting death of Samuel Rhoads Fisher. Census records indicate a Henry Williams was still living in Matagorda County in 1860.
BIBLIOGRAPHY:Eugene C. Barker, ed., The Austin Papers (3 vols., Washington: GPO, 1924–28). Lester G. Bugbee, "The Old Three Hundred: A List of Settlers in Austin's First Colony," Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association 1 (October 1897). Daughters of the American Revolution, The Alamo Heroes and Their Revolutionary Ancestors (San Antonio, 1976). John H. Jenkins, ed., The Papers of the Texas Revolution, 1835–1836 (10 vols., Austin: Presidial Press, 1973). Matagorda County Historical Commission, Historic Matagorda County (3 vols., 1986–88). Thomas L. Miller, Bounty and Donation Land Grants of Texas, 1835–1888 (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1967). Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Rachel Jenkins, "WILLIAMS, HENRY," accessed January 17, 2019, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fwi24.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.