WAUGH, JULIA NOTT
WAUGH, JULIA NOTT (1888–1958). Julia Nott Waugh, writer, was born on August 9, 1888, near Goliad at the ranch home of her parents, Thomas H. and Mary (Ray) Nott. She attended Mrs. Shive's private school in Goliad and St. Mary's Hall in San Antonio; she received a B.A. degree from the University of Texas in 1913. She also attended Columbia University and a school in Paris, France. Although she traveled widely, Julia Nott Waugh made her home in San Antonio, where she became prominent in literary, historical, and conservationist circles and served for several years as a director of the Yanaguana Society. She wrote Castro-Ville and Henry Castro-Empresario (1934), which included a translation from the French of Auguste Frétellière's manuscript, "Adventures of a Castrovillian, 1834–1844." The book was reprinted in 1986 in honor of the state's Sesquicentennial. From her interest in Mexican folk traditions of San Antonio she wrote The Silver Cradle (1955), a collection of narrative and descriptive sketches. She contributed articles, dealing principally with Texas pioneer days and with Mexican customs and manners, to national and Texas publications. She was married to George F. Waugh, an officer in the United States Army, in 1914. The marriage ended in divorce about 1927. She died in the Algonquin Hotel in New York on January 18, 1958, and was buried in the family plot in Oak Hill Cemetery in Goliad. She left her personal library to the Goliad County Library.
Florence Elberta Barns, Texas Writers of Today (Dallas: Tardy, 1935). Goliad County Historical Commission, The History and Heritage of Goliad County, ed. Jakie L. Pruett and Everett B. Cole (Austin: Eakin Press, 1983). Jennie Haggard Ray, History of the Haggard Family in England and America (Dallas, 1938). San Antonio Express, January 22, 1958.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Hobart Huson, "WAUGH, JULIA NOTT," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fwa75), accessed April 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.