TYUS, BENJAMIN ROBERT
TYUS, BENJAMIN ROBERT (1830–1879). Benjamin Robert Tyus, surveyor, Confederate officer, and state representative, was born in Sussex County, Virginia, on March 21, 1830, the son of John William and Sarah Coleman (Jackson) Tyus. The family moved to Shelby County, Tennessee, in 1833. In 1849 he immigrated to Texas with his twin brother, Joseph Booth Tyus, and they settled in the town of Springfield in Limestone County and established themselves as surveyors. Benjamin continued in this occupation throughout the 1850s, acquiring several large tracts of land for himself along the way. He was a charter member of the Springfield Masonic Lodge.
During the Civil War, Tyus volunteered for service in the Confederate Army, joining the Sixth Texas Infantry Regiment as captain for Company F. He commanded this unit throughout the war and was occasionally put in charge of other units after the Sixth was consolidated into Granbury's Texas Brigade prior to the Battle of Missionary Ridge in Tennessee in November 1863. He was wounded during that battle at Tunnel Hill. He commanded elements of the Sixth Texas Infantry and Fifteenth Texas (Dismounted) Cavalry regiments at the Battle of Nashville in December 1864. Following the war, Tyus returned to Limestone County, where he assumed an active role in public affairs. In 1866 he won election as representative for Limestone County to the Eleventh Texas Legislature. In the early 1870s he moved to Mexia and became that town's first mayor. Tyus died on December 14, 1879, and was buried in Mexia City Cemetery.
Groesbeck Journal, May 15, 1936. Memorial and Biographical History of Navarro, Henderson, Anderson, Limestone, Freestone and Leon Counties, Texas (Chicago: Lew, 1893). Ray Walter, A History of Limestone County (Austin: Von Boeckmann Jones, 1959).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Aragorn Storm Miller, "TYUS, BENJAMIN ROBERT," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fty09), accessed August 31, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.