- Annual Meeting
- Get Involved
TEMPLETON, SAMUEL MOORE
TEMPLETON, SAMUEL MOORE (1853–1935). Samuel Moore Templeton, Presbyterian minister and official, son of David Green and Mary Eliza (Moore) Templeton, was born in Jacksonville, Texas, on December 27, 1853. He attended school in Jacksonville and between 1875 and 1877 taught at a country school in Cherokee County. Templeton entered Trinity University (then in Tehuacana, Texas) in 1877, receiving an A.B. degree in 1881 and an M.A. degree in 1886. He joined the Cumberland Presbyterian Church in 1872; was ordained a ruling elder in 1873; was received by Trinity Presbytery in July 1875; was licensed to preach in July 1876; and was ordained to the ministry on July 16, 1878. Templeton served as adjunct professor of mathematics at Trinity University from 1881 to 1884. He married Jenny Wofford of Dallas on November 21, 1882; the couple had three sons and three daughters. He was pastor of the Presbyterian church in Rockwall, Texas, from 1885 to 1891, serving at times in Mesquite, Forney, Poetry, and Richardson. He had a church built at Poetry in 1886 and at Rockwall in 1888. From 1891 to 1892 he was pastor of the South Dallas Cumberland Church. In 1892 he became pastor of the Cumberland Presbyterian church in Clarksville, Texas (which in 1906 became part of the Presbyterian Church, USA); he remained there until 1914. He had two churches built during his pastorate in Clarksville, and also one in Fate in 1926 and a new building in Rockwall in 1927–29. In 1914 Templeton returned as pastor to the Rockwall Presbyterian Church, USA, and also served the Presbyterian Church, USA, in Fate, Texas, until his retirement in 1927.
In 1900 he was chairman of the Texas Synod committee that led to the transfer of Trinity University from Tehuacana to Waxahachie in 1902. In 1902 he was elected Moderator of the General Assembly of the Cumberland Church meeting in Springfield, Missouri. At the 1903 General Assembly meeting in Nashville, Tennessee, he was elected chairman of a committee on Presbyterian Fraternity and Union, which negotiated with a like committee of the Presbyterian Church, USA, which led to the reunion of the two denominations in 1906. He led the effort in the Cumberland denomination for this union as considered at the General Assemblies in 1904 in Dallas; in 1905 in Fresno, California; and in 1906 in Decatur, Illinois.
In 1888 he became Stated Clerk of the Texas Synod of the Cumberland Church, and in 1906, Stated Clerk of the Texas Synod of the Presbyterian Church, USA, which position he retained until his death in 1935. He thus served as Stated Clerk of the Texas Synod for forty-seven years, which is a denominational record. In 1908 he became a member of the General Assembly Executive Committee of the Presbyterian Church, USA. He was a longtime trustee of Trinity University, which awarded him an honorary Doctor of Divinity degree in 1903 and an honorary Doctor of Laws degree in 1927. He was active in York Rite Freemasonry and Democratic party politics. He died in Rockwall, Texas on June 11, 1935.
BIBLIOGRAPHY:Rockwall Success, June 17, 1927. Who's Who in America, 1926–27.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Charles C. Templeton, "TEMPLETON, SAMUEL MOORE," accessed July 21, 2018, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/ftecr.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.