TENNEY, SAMUEL FISHER
TENNEY, SAMUEL FISHER (1840–1926). S. F. Tenney, Presbyterian minister, the son of Samuel T. and Margaret (Colt) Tenney, was born in Athens, Georgia, on March 26, 1840. He received a B.A. in 1861 from the University of Georgia and a B.D. in 1868 from Columbia Theological Seminary. He was ordained a minister of the Presbyterian Church in the United States (Southern) by the Presbytery of Eastern Texas in 1869. After serving briefly at Marshall and Elysian Fields, he accepted the pastorate of the Crockett Presbyterian Church and served there from 1871 until his death in 1926. During the first twenty years of his ministry he labored against the prevailing opinion of the times for "the evangelization and enlightenment of the freed people." His congregation in 1871 established a Sabbath school for black children, which led to a parochial school, the Moffatt African Academy. In 1886 the Mary Allen Academy (see MARY ALLEN JUNIOR COLLEGE) was established. Tenney's missionary activity led to the founding of the black Texas Presbytery in 1888 with seven churches and five ministers. In Houston County Tenney helped organize seven churches, three black and four white. He organized seven other churches, including the Presbyterian church in Beaumont. With others he revitalized the Presbyterian church in San Augustine, said to be one of the first Presbyterian congregations organized in the Republic of Texas. At his initiative the Presbytery of Eastern Texas established mission work among the Alabama-Coushatta Indians in Polk County, which led in 1884 to the founding of a church and school. For thirty years Tenney served his presbytery as clerk and treasurer. In addition, he was moderator on numerous occasions and represented the presbytery on eight occasions as a commissioner to the General Assembly. In 1887 he was moderator of the Synod of Texas. Against the position of many of his former professors and friends, Tenney worked for the restoration of fraternal relations with the Presbyterian Church U.S.A. (Northern). He was an ardent supporter of home and foreign missions, of the Sabbath school, and of the sale and distribution of religious literature. His congregation was a consistent leader in benevolence for religious undertakings in Texas and throughout the world. In the prohibition campaign of 1887, he stumped the state debating some of the major politicians in support of prohibition. From 1861 to 1865 he was in the Confederate Army, first as a foot soldier with Robert E. Lee's army in Virginia, then as a lieutenant and ordnance officer with the brigade of Gen. Ed Thomas of Georgia. Of his considerable correspondence during this period a significant number of letters have been published. From that early period until the end of his life, he opposed the Ku Klux Klan. In 1868 Tenney married Sarah Mills of Mayesville, South Carolina. They had seven children. He was awarded an honorary doctorate by Austin College in Sherman. Tenney died on July 2, 1926, after serving the Crockett Presbyterian Church for fifty-five years.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, John R. "Pete" Hendrick, "Tenney, Samuel Fisher," accessed September 25, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fte42.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.