SUTHERLAND, MARY AUGUSTA MCCRAW
SUTHERLAND, MARY AUGUSTA MCCRAW (1850–1930). Mary Sutherland, writer, was born on January 1, 1850, at Selma, Alabama. She moved with her family to Mobile in 1859 and there met the surveyor Hugh Ross Sutherland, whom she married in 1866, after Sutherland's service as captain of Company A, Ninth Alabama Infantry. They had a daughter and a son. The couple came in 1869 to Houston, where Hugh made a precarious living surveying while studying law. The family moved to Corpus Christi in 1873. Unlike most women of the time, Mrs. Sutherland played baseball, was an eager duck hunter, and participated in the activities of the volunteer fire companies in the city. With the assistance of Eli T. Merriman and Jessie Griffin, she organized the Bayview Cemetery Association and was instrumental in buying the site and moving many of the remains from Old Bayview to the new cemetery. She was a charter member of the Daughters of the Confederacy. She was an enthusiastic supporter of the Corpus Christi Browns, a semiprofessional baseball club, for thirty years. Though her family in Alabama were Baptists, she joined the Methodist Church at an early age and remained faithful to the end. After the death of her husband on July 4, 1906, she took a deep interest in the Confederacy and the history of Corpus Christi. She assembled a city history, which was published by the Daughters of the Confederacy in 1916, entitled The Story of Corpus Christi. Her strong support of the Confederacy is no longer fashionable among academic historians, but the factual outline of her history provided a framework for students. She died on August 26, 1930, in Corpus Christi.
Corpus Christi Caller, August 26, 27, 1930. Corpus Christi Times, August 26, 1930. Corpus Crony, June 30, 1906.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Frank Wagner, "SUTHERLAND, MARY AUGUSTA MCCRAW," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fsu23), accessed August 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.